I made this soup a few nights ago based on Madeleine Shaw’s sweet potato and carrot soup and it was so tasty! It made 3 portions (but I do like big portions) so it could be 4 smaller ones if you wanted it as a starter or more of a snack. You can also play around with the veg and get creative if you’re feeling adventurous – I’m sure swede and butternut squash would work just as well.
- 1kg sweet potatoes (full of vitamins and anti-oxidants)
- 1kg carrots (great for your eyes, nails and hair)
- 400g tin of coconut milk
- A tablespoon of coconut oil
- A tablespoon of desiccated coconut (coconut has loads of health benefits!)
- Bouillon stock (or any veg stock)
- A teaspoon each of cinnamon (good for your brain) nutmeg (good for digestion) and cumin (great source of iron)
- Chilli flakes (fights inflammation)
- Salt and pepper
Peel and chop the sweet potatoes and carrots then fry for a few minutes in the coconut oil
Add the tin of coconut milk and then make the stock (I usually make about 700ml) and add to the pan so it’s covering all the veg.
Let it simmer for about 15 minutes or until the carrots and sweet potatoes are soft, add the cinnamon, nutmeg and cumin with a bit of seasoning (I go for more pepper than salt as the bouillon is quite salty) then blend.
Sprinkle some chilli flakes and desiccated coconut to serve et voilà!