Rye bread is a real saviour for the health nut. Usually made without any wheat – therefore gluten-free to banish that dreaded bloat – it’s packed with fibre and has a low glycaemic index, which means it doesn’t spike your blood sugar levels like evil white bread does and keeps you full for so much longer.
Don’t be fooled by those thin slices – they’re densely and deliciously packed with all the nutrients to make you bounce through the afternoon. Plus – a lot of varieties also contain other tasty seeds and grains that are great for fuelling hungry bodies. We usually buy Biona’s because it’s available in our local Tesco, but many Lidl stores do great versions as do health shops.
So it’s little surprise this wonderbread is the base of choice for regular post-workout snacks for our super marathon running friend Euan. He asked us for a few new topping ideas to alternate with his usual mackerel and avo combo to tick those carb, fat and protein boxes in one tasty sitting.
Here are a few ideas we came up with – enjoy toasted or as it comes.
1. Smashed avocado with chilli flakes, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lime
2. Mashed banana with cashew nuts (raw or toasted in the oven or pan fried for 5 minutes), sunflower seeds and a drizzling of agave syrup, honey or maple syrup
3. Poached eggs, spinach and baked asparagus
4. Smoked salmon and scrambled egg
5. Almond butter with sliced banana and a sprinkling of chia seeds (great for rehydrating after long runs)
6. Healthy nutella with Himalayan pink salt
7. Mozzarella, sliced heritage tomatoes and fresh basil
8. Beetroot and feta
9. Kale pesto with cherry tomatoes
10. Homemade classic hummus
11. Raspberry chia jam and peanut butter
12. Sundried tomato spread – delish on its own or you could melt some goat’s cheese on top for a quick healthy pizza slice
13. Sliced pear, stilton and chopped walnuts
14. Mashed sweet potato (chop and steam/boil for 5 minutes then drain) with black beans and sour cream (vegan alternative if you prefer)
15. Roasted red peppers, basil leaves and sliced avocado
16. Goat’s cheese, walnuts and honey
These are all meat-free and many vegan but most would work well with added meat if that floats your boat. Any other bright ideas? Post in the comments, don’t be shy!
Images from our own Instagrams and Tesco online